Zygomatic implants are an alternative to traditional implants for patients who have severe bone loss of the upper jaw. While traditional implants are placed in the jawbone, zygomatic implants are anchored in the cheekbone, also called the “zygoma.”
Zygomatic implants also differ in their shape. The implant is angled and much longer than a traditional implant, as it must reach from the midpoint of your dental arch to the cheekbone. While the size may be larger, the procedure for placing a zygomatic implant and healing time is not much different from that of a traditional bone graft.
Zygomatic Implant Advantages
- Like many implants, zygomatic implants can be placed at the extraction appointment.
- A dental prosthesis can be attached to the implant abutment the same day as the surgery.
- Zygomatic implants eliminate the need for bone grafts.
- A zygomatic implant can hold a restoration that, in the past, may have required several implants.
- Failing existing dental implants can be replaced with zygomatic dental implants.
As with any surgical procedure, you should discuss all the benefits and risks of zygomatic implants with our team. If we determine they are right for your situation, you can be one step closer to the restored mouth and beautiful smile that you deserve.