San Antonio Oral Pathology Diagnosis & Treatment Planning
Oral pathology is the study of the disease of the face, neck, and mouth. This includes any number of congenital and acquired diseases from cleft lip and palate to gum disease and oral cancers. In most cases, patients receive regular pathology screenings during their twice a year dental checkups, but if irregularity is found, they may be referred to an oral and maxillofacial surgery who has advanced training in oral and maxillofacial pathology. At San Antonio Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Associates, our team offers a variety of diagnostic and treatment options for those patients experiencing warning signs and symptoms of disease.
Concerning Side Effects
In most cases, patients are referred to us by their dentist for oral pathology. Some irregularities that you may notice at home, should be brought to the attention of your dentist or by contacting SAOMSA include:
- Changes in the appearance or shape of any part of the face, neck, and throat
- Sores, dry spots, or irritated areas that do not heal within a week
- Thickening of skin inside or outside of the mouth
- Discolored spots in or outside the mouth
- Chronic sore through or dry mouth
- Pain or discomfort with no known cause that persists for days or weeks
Oral Pathology Diagnosis & Treatment
Our San Antonio team offers diagnostic x-rays, biopsies, and other exploratory testing in order to determine the cause of patient discomfort or disease. If we find areas for concern, we may recommend any number of treatments including soft tissue surgery.